Work Study


Students employed in Work-Study jobs earn money for their college costs through part-time employment in approved on-campus jobs or off-campus jobs at nonprofit and community service agencies. UCR also employs students who are not eligible for Work-Study in similar campus jobs and provides job listings for off-campus positions through our Career Center.

Federal Work-Study eligibility is based on financial need and the availability of funds for each award year.

Renewal allocations are available to students with Federal Work-Study earnings in the previous award year.

When sufficient funds are available, it is sometimes possible to request replacement of a student loan with Work-Study.

To learn more about Work-Study and how to apply for it, click on the link below to visit the Career Center's website to review the process on how to use your allocation.

Connect with the Career Center 

If you have now been hired for a work-study position, please click on the link below to fill out the Work-Study New Hire Form.  Prepare to submit information about your position and your supervisor.  The job description you submit must be from Handshake.

Fill out the work-study new hire form 

  • The Work-Study Allocation
    • No, your total award amount is for the whole year. It can be earned unevenly throughout the award year.

    • Contact Financial Aid at or by phone at (951) 827-3878 if your Work-Study funds are about to run out. You could potentially receive an increase based on funding availability. Once you earn all of your Work-Study funds, notify your supervisor immediately for guidance. If you exceed your award amount, your employer will be billed at 100%.

    • No, your Work-Study award does not carry over to the next year.  

    • If unused, the Work-Study award will be lost, and will not be offered in the future.

    • Your total allocation amount includes the Work-Study dollar amount, but the Work-Study allocation will not reduce the direct charges you still owe to UCR for tuition and fees. You will earn your Work-Study allocation as soon as you begin working. You will receive a bi-weekly paycheck.

    • No, a bi-weekly paycheck will be issued as you work your Work-Study job.

    • You must find a job, get hired, and then work in that position to earn your Work-Study allocation. You will be paid bi-weekly.

  • Work Hours and Pay
    • Payday is bi-weekly, as indicated on the payroll calendar. On-Campus Jobs: Speak with your employer regarding procedures and deadlines. Off-Campus Jobs: You will receive instructions within your Letter of Clearance (LOC) email.

    • Visit to access the Time & Attendance Reporting System (TARS).  Please review this timesheet infographic if you need help in understanding the process and how to fill out your timesheet.

    • Late timesheets will result in the employee being paid during the next payroll cycle.

    • You are allowed to work up to 19 hours per week.

    • You can use your Work-Study funds between the first day of fall quarter (September 19, 2022) through the last day of spring quarter (June 9, 2023). Work-Study funds are not available during the summer.

    • You are free to spend your earnings as you wish.

    • Both you and your immediate supervisor (employer) are responsible for tracking the hours worked, and for submitting your timesheets in a timely manner.

    • To determine your tax obligations (if any), visit

  • Work-Study Jobs
    • You may begin looking for a Work-Study position on August 22, 2022.

    • Work-Study funds must be used between September 19, 2022 and June 9, 2023. Work-Study funds are not available during the summer.

    • No, you are responsible for applying for and securing a Work-Study job. UCR does not place students in jobs.

    • All open positions are listed On UCR Handshake.

    • A Federal Work-Study Eligibility Notification is used to “register” you for Work-Study. Visit UCR Handshake to print an Federal Work-Study Eligibility Notification, and take it with you to the interview. One Eligibility Notification must be completed and submitted to Financial Aid for each position you obtain.  

    • If this is an on-campus work-study position, you will not need a Letter of Clearance. However you will still need to fill out the Work-Study New Hire form found on the Career Center or Financial Aid website. This form will automatically initiate a process to complete a Student Employment Contract through DocuSign. You will be asked to attach a copy of your job description found in Handshake and your Federal Work-Study Eligibility Notification. Once you’ve electronically signed this employment contract, your supervisor will be notified to complete their portion. For off-campus work-study positions, the Letter of Clearance is the final step of the process. You will still go through the same process as detailed above and then await an email from the Financial Aid Office with the Letter of Clearance to inform you and your supervisor that you are ready to start working.  Your supervisor will determine your start date after receiving this email.  Feel free to refer to hiring process outlined in these instructions.

    • Yes, each job description on UCR Handshake will provide details about the placement location.

    • You could potentially earn academic credit from your Work-Study job. The final determination is made by your academic department. To be considered, the job must be a meaningful learning experience, and it must be related to your coursework. For more information, visit Internships or connect with a Career Center counselor.

    • Begin your job search early by using UCR Handshake. Tailor your resume to the needs of a desired position. Before uploading it, bring your resume to the Career Center during Drop-in Hours: To schedule virtual drop-in hours, go to this drop-in schedule link which will be open for sign-ups the evening before and will close 15 minutes prior to the end of drop-in hours for that day. For updated drop-in hours, visit


Contact the Career Center 
at (951) 827-3631 
for help with:
  • Job search assistance
  • Help with Work-Study job application
  • Drop-In counseling
Contact Financial Aid 
at (951) 827-3878 
for help with:
  • Work-Study eligibility
  • Award adjustments
  • Letter of Clearance 
  • Paycheck and timesheet issues

Federal School Code: 001316