Resources for UCR Staff

Thank you for visiting the staff resources page! Here you’ll find information about our accounting procedures, work-study information for supervisors, and other important guides about financial aid policies that may help you as you support UCR students.


Financial Aid and Student Business Services

Although a student can get counseling from both Financial Aid and Student Business Services (SBS) at the Highlander One-Stop Shop (HOSS), these are two separate offices. Refer to this handy list to ensure you’re contacting the office best able to meet the current needs of you and your students.

Connect with Financial Aid for:

  • Understanding the financial aid offer
  • Questions about types of aid such as grants, scholarships, and loans
  • Aid eligibility
  • Financial aid application process
  • Verification
  • Appeals
  • Revisions

Connect with Student Business Services for:

  • Understanding your student account (ex., dynamic bill/current activity and statement of account)
  • Refunds and direct deposit 
  • Outstanding fees 
  • Deferred payment plan
  • Repaying university loans
  • 1098-T form

Help for Students in Need

The Basic Needs department is here to provide emergency assistance to students dealing with food, housing, financial, and other crises. You can refer your students to Basic Needs or email to learn how to help a student in need.

Help for Students in Distress

Departments across campus are here to provide assistance to students in distress. Consult The Red Folder for guidance on how to respond and which departments to contact.


Scholarship/Stipend Requests

In this section, you'll find instructions on how to submit a request for the Financial Aid Office to process a departmental scholarship/stipend request for undergraduate students through Workfront. Please note that if you're awarding a School of Medicine student, you need to contact Theresa Luther. If you're awarding a graduate student, please contact Maria Pimentel.

Please review these instructions for more information about the process. This video will show you how to make updates and access notifications in Workfront. Please also review this PowerPoint presentation for an overview of the new process that was launched in March 2021.

Scholarship Award Template

In the event you're having trouble downloading the form through Workfront, you'll need to use this template. Please upload this into your Workfront request.


In this section you'll find information about the hiring process for work-study students. You may contact for more information for the topics below.


Once students have been offered a work-study position, they'll need to fill out the Work-Study New Hire Form so that it may kick off the onboarding process by sending out a Work-Study Student Employment Contract via DocuSign. This DocuSign envelope will ask students and/or supervisors to submit the following:

  • Student Employment Contract — requires signatures from both student and supervisor
  • Federal Work-Study Eligibility Notification — so that supervisors know a student is indeed eligible for work-study and can see the amount they were awarded (to help with tracking later)
  • A copy of the job description/posting from Handshake

You can review samples of the documents named above in this PDF

Once this process is complete, a member of UCR’s Financial and Administrative Support Team (FAST) will contact the student to schedule an in-person or virtual onboarding appointment. The student will have to submit a new DocuSign packet. Once the FAST representative has finished processing and updating UCPath, they'll notify the work-study program that the student is ready to start working. Work-study representatives will email the student and supervisor when the student may start working. You must wait to receive the Letter of Clearance before your student can start working.


Students are paid on a bi-weekly basis. Please review the payroll calendar so that you can help ensure your student's timesheets are submitted by the due date. You'll want to submit them by the dates in the column titled “Employee Cutoff.” Please note that some pay periods have early cutoffs. Work-study representatives will send e-mail reminders for off campus work-study supervisors, however, please make note of these dates.

Timesheets are required to be approved by the supervisor. For on-campus supervisors, please submit your student’s timesheet as normal through Time and Attendance Reporting System (TARS). For off-campus supervisors, work-study representatives will process through the UCR Time and Attendance Reporting System once they receive an emailed copy of the student's timesheet that has been signed by the supervisor. Please share this timesheet infographic with your students if they need help in understanding the process and how to fill out their timesheet.

How to Become a Work-Study Partner and Hire UCR Students

For more information on how to become a work-study partner and/or how to hire a UCR student, please visit the Career Center’s webpage.  On-campus employers can get additional information about work-study on this page. Information for off-campus employers is available on this page.

Increases to Work-Study Allocation

When there is available work-study funding, students may ask for increases to their work-study award by filling out a “revision request” through the Financial Aid icon in R’Web . If that option is not displaying in R’Web, please email our office at

Additional Support

We understand that the UCR academic advisers are frequently asked to guide and direct students to campus resources to reduce every possible barrier to student success. Our goal is to share information to help you answer those basic financial aid questions easily, without having to go into detail that is best left to the Financial Aid office. Contact us if you or your students have additional questions on these topics.

What needs to be submitted and by when in order for students to be considered for aid.  

Disbursements and Refunds
When is financial aid disbursed each quarter? In general, students should only expect to receive financial aid for those courses that are required for the students’ stated major and degree intention.

Part-Time Fee Waiver
If a student attends UCR part-time, they may be entitled to reduced tuition. Financial aid must be adjusted for if a student is approved by the Registrar’s Office for the waiver. To qualify, undergraduate students must meet certain requirements and submit an Undergraduate Petition for Unit/Fee Reduction

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)
In order to understand how a student's academic progress affects their financial aid availability, please visit our Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) webpage. You will also be able to see how certain units impact a student's pace, GPA, and more.

Withdrawals Guide
Financial aid is typically available to students enrolling in less than full-time hours, but the amount awarded will decrease accordingly. To learn more, review our guide, which you can send to your students.

Undergraduate Admissions and Financial Aid Campus Forums

Once a quarter, the directors of the Undergraduate Admissions and Financial Aid offices host a forum for the campus community to provide updates on key milestones in our processes. Visit the campus events calendar to see when the next forum is being held and visit the Enrollment Services website for archived videos of past forums.