Benefits for Dependents of Veterans

Benefits for Dependents of Veterans

Benefits for Dependents of Veterans

As a dependent of a veteran, you may qualify for more than one of these programs! We encourage you to read through all of them to find out. 

  • Transfer of Benefits

    GI Bill Transfer of Benefits to Dependents

    A special provision of the GI Bill allows career service members to share unused educational benefits with their children and spouses. 

    Please review the Department of Defense GI Bill Transferability Fact Sheet to determine if you are eligible for benefits. 

    We also strongly recommend that you thoroughly acquaint yourself with information found on the VA's website: 

    Here are the four steps to transfer benefit eligibility:

    Step 1Apply for Transfer of Educational Benefits.

    Step 2: Once the TEB request is approved, submit a request to the VA for a Certificate of Eligibility (COE). Use VA Form 22-1990e to make the request.

    Step 3: Submit the COE to the Financial Aid Office, either in person at the Highlander One Stop Shop (HOSS) or by fax at (951) 827-5619. Include your UCR Student ID number.

    Step 4: Once enrolled in classes, visit the Financial Aid Office to complete the Enrollment Certification process. This must be done each quarter after you enroll in classes.

    Create a Backup Plan

    Given that this process may take quite some time, we recommend that you make backup plans for paying your initial school expenses. Possible alternatives:

    Once we receive payment from Veterans Affairs, you will be refunded any applicable fees you have paid.

    Important Details About VA Educational Benefits

    • Benefits are payable only for courses that apply as degree requirements for your current degree objective. Each course certified to VA must reduce the time required to earn the degree.
    • Each quarter, you are required to visit the Financial Aid Office after enrolling in courses to request that the Enrollment Certification be submitted to VA.
    • You are required to promptly inform the Financial Aid Office of any change in your enrollment.
    • Nonattendance in courses, withdrawal from courses, and receiving "NoCredit" or "Incomplete" grades may result in having to repay benefits to VA. This includes tuition and fees paid by the VA to the University on your behalf.
    • The Financial Aid Office is required to notify VA if you are on probation, or are subject to dismissal for two consecutive quarters at UCR.
    • It is your responsibility to regularly check your UCR email account to review campus academic and administrative electronic correspondence. The Financial Aid Office uses the UCR student email address to communicate important information regarding VA educational benefits.
    • You are responsible for paying any fees that are not paid on your behalf by the VA, as well as payin all debts resulting from reductions or terminations of your enrollments.
    • You are responsible for notifying the Financial Aid Office of any outstanding VA debt. 
  • VA Dependents' Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)

    You may qualify for VA educational benefits under Chapter 35, if your parent or spouse died or is permanently and totally disabled as a result of their military service.

    Call the VA's toll-free number 1-888-GIBILL1 (888-442-4551) to determine if you are eligible for assistance. Be sure to have your parent's or spouse's VA file number available when you call.

    The process for collecting benefits is as follows:

    1. Complete VA Form 22-5490, Application for Survivors' and Dependents' Educational Assistance. If you've collected benefits in the past, skip the application and complete VA Form 22-5495, Request for Change of Program or Place of Training when you visit our office to certify your enrollment.
    2. Establish your educational benefits eligibility through the VA by filing online using VONAPP.
    3. Visit the Financial Aid Office to obtain a Certificate of Enrollment, which is required to start collecting benefits. If you are unable to stop by, please contact us to make alternate arrangements.
  • California College Fee Waiver

    Under the California Education Code, dependents of veterans whose death or disability was service-connected may be eligible for exemption from many University fees. Applications and information are available at the Financial Aid Office or from your county veterans' services office.

    How do I apply?

    Contact your local county veterans service office to obtain applications, information, and apply for benefits under this program. The Riverside County veterans services office is located at 4360 Orange Street, Riverside, CA, 92501. Or, call (951) 276-3060. It is recommended to apply for these benefits before attending UCR. Benefits are awarded on an academic year basis, and students are required to reapply annually for ongoing benefits.

    What fees are "waived" (exempted) at UCR?

    The following UC fees are exempted for the purposes of this program for students classified as California residents for tuition purposes: Tuition, Student Services Fee, Special Fee for Law and Medicine, and Fee for Selected Professional School Students. In addition to these fees, Summer Session Course Fees are also exempted for currently matriculated UC students who are eligible for this program. These are the only fees from which you may be exempted under this program.

    How does the fee exemption work for a regular academic quarter (Fall, Winter, Spring)?

    Contact the Financial Aid Office when you are approved by county veterans services for this program. They should send us a copy of your approval letter or your may provide us with a copy. We will enter information into the University's student billing system indicating that you are eligible to be exempted from the applicable fees for the remainder of the academic year. When your Statement of Account is available on GROWL, it will show just the amount you owe. The fees from which you are exempted should not show up on your statement.

    If you have already paid your fees, notify the Financial Aid Office. Either arrangements will be made with Student Business Services for a refund, or we will instruct you on how to proceed.

    What fees do I need to pay?

    You are only exempted from the fees listed above. Each quarter you will need to pay the balance of fees from which you are not exempted, according to the Statement of Account available on GROWL. For most students, this amount totals approximately $300 per quarter, plus applicable course materials and the health insurance fee. If you have comparable insurance coverage, you may petition to be exempted from UCR's student health insurance. (See the next section for details.) It is your responsibility to pay the amount indicated in the "amount due" field on your statement by the fee payment deadline. Otherwise, you will lose your classes and be assessed a late payment fee. You may access your statement at R'Web. If you have been approved for the fee waiver program, but your statement still indicates that you owe any of the fees from which you should be exempted (as previously listed), check your "current activity" to see if there has been an adjustment in your fees. If not, don't ignore the balance due. Contact the Financial Aid Office, and we will assist you.

    What should I do about the USHIP Fee?

    The Undergraduate Student Health Insurance Program (USHIP) is designed to supplement the outpatient care available to all registered students through the Student Health Services. Your "Cal Vet College Fee Waiver" does not exempt you from the USHIP Fee. If you have other health insurance coverage which meets UCR's published Standards for Comparable Coverage, and you wish to be exempted from participation in the USHIP, you must file a USHIP Waiver Form by the quarterly deadline. Students filing for exemption from USHIP should not pay the USHIP Fee, as it is non-refundable after the first day of the quarter. If you do not file for USHIP exemption by the quarterly deadline, then you are responsible for payment of the USHIP Fee. For further information, contact Student Health Services at (951) 827-5683.

    What should I do if I have been assessed non-resident fees?

    All questions concerning residency must be directed to the residence affairs officer in the Office of the RegistrarA Statement of Legal Residence must be completed and submitted to the Office of the Registrar for a determination of the student's residency status for tuition purposes. If you are not classified as a California Resident by UC, your fee exemption will be invalid and you will be billed for full fees.

    If I receive a "retroactive" authorization, can I be reimbursed for prior quarters?

    Yes, but generally only for the current academic year. Claims for fee exemptions must be presented to the University during the academic year for which the claim applies. Retroactive approval for a prior academic year can be granted only in situations in which students applied for the exemption in a timely manner, but approval was delayed by U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs processing of original or reopened service-connected disability compensation or Dependency and Indemnity Compensation claims.

    Will my financial aid be affected if I accept the fee exemption?

    The Financial Aid Office will determine whether your fee exemption approval has any effect on the aid you have been awarded. If you have any questions about whether it is in your best interest to accept the fee exemption, contact your Financial Aid Counselor.

    How does my fee exemption work for Summer Session?

    For assistance with fee exemption work for Summer Session, contact UCR's Office of Summer Session at (951) 827-3044. The office is at the Highlander One Stop Shop (HOSS), located on the first floor of the Student Services Building. Note that only matriculated UC students may be exempted from Summer Sessions fees.

    Am I eligible for any other benefits?

    If your veteran-parent or spouse died or is permanently and totally disabled as a result of a service-connected disability you may be eligible for additional benefitsfrom the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA). For further information, you may call the VA at (888) GIBILL-1.

  • Additional Financial Assistance

    The Dependent Benefits process may take some time to complete so we recommend that you have a back-up plan for paying your initial school expenses. Once we receive your California College Fee Waiver authorization or GI Bill fee payment, you will be refunded any applicable University fees you have already paid.

    Possible alternatives include:

    • Apply for financial aid by completing your FAFSA.

    • Apply for UCR's Deferred Payment Plan through Student Business Services. Contact them online or at (951) 827-3204.
  • At Your Service

    UC Riverside provides staff in the Financial Aid Office to assist you with your VA educational benefits. Keep in mind, we are employees of the University, not the VA. If you need information about specific VA benefits, contact the VA directly:

    U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs
    Education Benefits
    Phone: 1-888-GIBILL1 (888-442-4551)

    • Other Benefits

      Phone: (800) 827-1000

    Federal School Code: 001316


    The Department of Veterans Affairs is the government agency responsible for determining an individual’s eligibility for VA education benefits.