Post-9/11 GI Bill

Post-9/11 GI Bill

Post-9/11 GI Bill

The Post-9/11 GI Bill (Chapter 33) is the most comprehensive educational benefit package since the original GI Bill was signed into law in 1944. The Veterans Affairs Educational Benefits provide educational assistance and career growth to individuals who have served on active duty on or after September 11, 2001. We are pleased and honored to assist you in utilizing your benefits to your advantage.

Post-9/11 GI Bill "To-Do" List

An application for VA benefits does not constitute an application for admission to UCR. You will need to access the following for admission information: 

In addition to your VA educational benefits, you may also be eligible for grants, scholarships and loans. These sources may be particularly helpful in meeting your initial school expenses while you are waiting to receive benefits from VA. Complete your FAFSA early.

For scholarship information, visit

Is the Post 9/11 GI Bill your best option for your educational plan?

While many eligible UC students will be better off with this new program, we urge you to review the information on the VA's website thoroughly, as your Chapter 33 election is irrevocable.

Get the latest Chapter 33 information.

View the Post GI Bill benefit comparison.

File your application online.

If you haven't already done so, apply for the new Post 9/11 GI Bill (or another VA educational benefit) through Veterans On-Line Application (VONAPP).

You will need to do the following to complete the application:

  • Create a username/password.
  • Fill out VA Form 22-1990.
  • Get the electronic DD-214 ready, and if applicable, the kicker contract and/or proof of the $600 buy-up.
  • Gather your bank information: bank name, routing number and account number.
  • If known, get the school address, educational objective (degree) and date of enrollment.
  • Have your former college information ready: degree, address and dates of attendance.
  • Know your non-military job information: type, length of time and any licensing.
  • Collect all ROTC/Service Academy/Student Loan Repayment Program information.


Contact us when you are enrolled in classes. At that time, we will certify your enrollment to VA. VA certifying officials process your paperwork, proving to the VA that you are enrolled in classes that meet requirements for your degree objective. For more information, visit the Financial Aid Office or call (951) 827-3878.

Be sure to bring us a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility, if you have one. This is a document the VA will issue to you when they have determined that you are eligible for Chapter 33.

Don't miss the information about priority enrollment and other important considerations for UCR veterans and members of the military.

Join your local student veterans group, and connect with the UCR Student Veterans & Service Members Facebook Group on Facebook.  



The Department of Veterans Affairs is the government agency responsible for determining an individual’s eligibility for VA education benefits.



Jump to Top