University of California, RiversideUCR

Work Study   

Federal School Code: 001316

Type of Aid - Work Study  

Make Money in College

Work-Study is a federally funded program that provides employment opportunities for students while enrolled in school. Federal Work-Study is awarded to qualifying undergraduate students based on financial need and the availability of funds.

As a Federal Work-Study participant, you'll earn a bi-weekly paycheck, which can be used to pay for educational expenses. You'll also gain valuable work experience, an important asset when applying for employment opportunities after graduation. You'll select from job listings that interest you and establish a work schedule with your employer.

What You Should Know

Federal funds pay a percentage of the hourly wage, with the employer contributing the balance. Hourly rates comply with minimum wage laws and vary with the type of work performed. In 2014-15, hourly rates at UCR range between $9.00 and $15.00.

If You Get a Job

Most students awarded Federal Work-Study in their first year will receive a renewal award the subsequent year. Students who accept Federal Work-Study offers but don't actually have earnings (i.e., who don't work in a Work-Study position) will not be offered a renewal Work-Study award the following year.

Not Eligible for Work-Study?

If you don't qualify, apply for part-time (non Work-Study) positions on- or off-campus through the Career Services Center.

More Information

General Campus Information

University of California, Riverside
900 University Ave.
Riverside, CA 92521
Tel: (951) 827-1012

Department Information

UCR Financial Aid Office
900 University Ave.

Tel: 951-827-3878
Fax: 951-827-5619
E-mail: finaid@ucr.edu